Tiller Arm

More
10 years 5 months ago #2427 by Chuck
Tiller Arm was created by Chuck
I'm in the process of installing a Raymarine Type 1 linear unit and would like to know if the tiller arm needs to be bolted through the rudder post or will it stay put by compression. Drilling the post looks like a difficult job.Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #2430 by Ed Finn
Replied by Ed Finn on topic Re: Tiller Arm
Drilling the rudder post is not that difficult.. Get the right tools.
Get some quality -sharp- drill bits, from a machine shop or industrial supplier- not the cheaper Walmart variety.cheap bits will dull imeadiately.. Quality bits will make all the difference.
You probably don't have to drill the post all the way thru....
Are there holes for set screws in your tiller arm? If they are not there then you should put them in. To do that, temporarily install the tiller arm, then mark for the set screw holes.
Remove the tiller arm and - drill them thru on a drill press before u install the arm permenently. Or have a machine shop drill and thread the holes in the arm for set screws would be a good idea. While at the machine shop talk to the machinist about the set screws and quality bits... Then with the right tools you can drill the rudder post yourself. To do that, armed with quality bits, then
Re install the arm on the post
Tighten the set screws to mark the rudder post, remove the arm, then drill shallow holes -1/4" deep where the set screws marked the post.
With these two holes the set screws will seat and not slip around on the rudder post re install the arm,
Tighten in the set screws and you r done! Easy...
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Ed Finn. Reason: Typo

More
10 years 5 months ago #2433 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Re: Tiller Arm
Chuck:
I would not drill all the way through the rudder post. I would drill a dimple dent where you can then bolt a set screw into the dent. This is what we did. If you look at our commissioning photos here
fhayden.com/rockhallfleet/islandspirit/b_&_g_pilot.htm
you will see this bolt at the end of the essay.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD
Attachments:

More
7 years 3 months ago #5386 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic Tiller Arm
Not sure if I should post this here, but please advise if not and where I should post.

I have a 1987-#182 IP-31 with Raymarine Smart-5X ST 6002 auto pilot installed and original Edson Rack & Pinion steering. This is my first sailboat and I always thought there is supposed to be an emergency tiller on the boat, but apparently I don't have one and previous owner said I don't need one. This does not sound correct to me.

This is likely an ignorant question but I just don't have enough knowledge to work it out. What does an ER tiller look like and how does it operate? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Jude

More
7 years 3 months ago #5387 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Tiller Arm
Jude
Most IPS do not have an emergency tiller due to the use and install of the Edson Rack and Pinion gears under the helm seat. For newer is with the newer helms, the ones that do not have the steering wheel post to straddle at the helm, these could take an emergency that fits over the rudder post inside the seat. We made one for our IP35 when we installed the new Edson CDI helm. So, you do not need to worry about an ER tiller.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
7 years 3 months ago #5390 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic Tiller Arm
Thanks, Hayden.
Jude

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds

We have 720 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.