Please donate to help us pay for our programmers and the software code purchased to make the new IPYOA photo application a reality. We are asking for your support to help us recover the $4,000 in expenses we paid this past year.
Thank you, sincerely,
Hayden and Radeen
The Island Packet Mail Server is run by Bruce Gregory and is a fantastic tool for connecting and communicating with the Island Packet Owners using your email tools. Please use this link below to join the IP Mail server. The yearly fee is $20 and Bruce will send you information about payment after you sign up.
Ok thanks. I've noticed several places noted on ActiveCaptain where it looks like we'll have to be extra careful. Especially just south of Cross Bank in Cotton Key Basin between R78 and R84. I guess we'll just have to time it to come through close to high tide.
Thank you for your query.
Since doing that post, we have sailed down the east coast of Australia, sailed around Tasmania ... and are now back in Sydney on our way north.
Aside from occasions when the boat has been laid up, we have rarely used marinas (I think they are called slips in USA), and whilst we try to use courtesy moorings when available, there has been a lot of anchoring.
We do have the 100mm pipe at a 45 degree angle, then the board a bit like Hayden & Radeen's. That has been unchanged. Hopefully the pic will attach okay.
We have managed to find anchorages (and weather conditions) where we have not found it necessary to deploy more than 45 metres of chain. Thank goodness!
What we have done in retain 52m in the starboard (main) half of the chainlocker. The other 25 m is in the port half, on top of spare chain and an anchor warp.
And yes, it still pyramids, but Helen loves the exercise of racing through the cabin to get "gritty" hands - particularly if the captain has been losing concentration with the deck wash!
So, we continue to favour sandy anchorages, with well less than 10m of depth ... that aren't rolly, or choppy!!
Basically, we have done nothing!
I just know that murphy will provide an unexpected severe wind change in a congested anchorage, or with limited searoom ... I am sure we all know the drill!
Let us know further thoughts!
PS:- pic of Joule, just now in Blackwattle Bay, Sydney, Australia - in 3metres of water ... Sydney CBD skyline dominates! It's muddy though! (Damn ... it wouldn't attach!)
I know this is an old thread, but if you happen to be around I'd be very interested to see what you came up with to solve your pyramiding issue.
Hoping for the best, but fearing the worst i have been working through my 485 checking for any weaknesses, potential problems, etc in the hope of relatively trouble free cruising further afield.
And so the rudder is crucial, and i am aware (but not in ips) that rudders can i do suffer fromwater ingress into the core and other weakness which can (but rarely) result in catastrophic failure.
So i am interested if anyone knows or has any comments on ip rudders generally and whether they are ever a problem area.
Hoping to leave Boot Key by end of Feb.
Still have not decided Bahamas vs Fl west coast.
Bob and Carol,
Thanks again. We are very familiar with the west coast and would be more than happy too help any way we can. When are you leaving Boot Key ?
Blind faith - pump out boat comes to you weekly. There are 2 large dinghy docks, one in front of office area and the second is down a canal next to the office. Hard and soft dinghies are separated. Room for about 100+ dinghies. There are 2 hose bibs on the dock for filling water jugs (a busy stop). We are thinking of exploring the Fla west coast and hope to meet you and discuss options.
In picture 5 above, you can see the Edson arm clamped onto the rudder post and the bolt on the arm. We drilled into the rudder post and this bolt presses into that hole.
Tge arm is very tight due to the clamping of the arm around the rudder post.
This has 20,000+ nm on it.
We did not drop tge rudder.
The machine shop who is boring the tiller arm thinks a bolt is a bad idea as too much torque on it and suggests cutting a keyway in the arm and shaft. Don't really want to drop the rudder, so he also suggested having the key tig welded on the shaft. Obviously Edson felt the bolt was fine for our boat since they will build them either way. Think we may just go that way as I am not crazy about dropping the rudder or welding in the boat.
We did not cut a keyway into the rudder post. We drilled a hole as the Edson arm included a treaded bolt with a point to go into the rudder post.
We did purchase the helm and the specifications all look good for a fit. One question I have. Did you cut a key-way in the rudder post and if you did, how did you do it in the boat?
Found the other discussion, good stuff, thanks!
Sea Turtle - the original post was by "Icebox", my wife. In 2012 we remodeled the galley which included a new countertop. When the old counter was removed we found a 2" gap in the foam insulation on the starboard side of the freezer. This is the area we were having problems with condensation. We filled the gap, finished the galley, and have enjoyed no condensation buildup since. Based on this I would suggest your problem is air gaps in the insulation around the freezer. I'm not familiar with the layout of the Estero but if it's like our 420 the only way to fill the gaps is to remove the countertop. If your freezer is as big as ours then maybe a good solution would be to add insulation panels inside the box. Even with living aboard we could get by with about half the space in our freezer. And that's leaving room for ice cream!
Tom & Cheri (Icebox)
La Vida Dulce
Bob and Carol,
Thank you very much for your reply. Everything I read about the mooring is positive so we have decided to sail down there at the end of the month. We live in Apollo Beach just south of Tampa. We will probably spend a couple of weeks or more to get there as we also like to stop at Sarasota, Cayo Costa and Marco Island.
Apparently we might not need to anchor but no problem. How about pump out, dinghy dockage and water while your on the hook ?
Gary and Mary Jane
IP 380 Blind Faith
We have an Estero. Freezer moisture is a major problem. Besides condensation on the surface, there is MAJOR condensation above the drawer just under the refrigerator particularly in the corner next to the freezer. Water collects and drips into the drawer. As mentioned in another post, this is a setup for mold and rotting of the wood. Other than a complete rebuild of the unit, is there a cause and possible solution?
Welcome to the IP fleet and family, you made a great choice in buying an Island Packet Yacht. Thank you for your update, both of you Cayo Hueso and Neon Moon. Welcome. I know you will enjoy your new boats and the learning of all the systems. Allow me to introduce to you one of our former IP owners and sailing instructor and delivery captain. Blaine Parks has owned and IP 35 and IP 40. He has sailed Maine to the Bahamas and he had delivered yachts into the Caribbean and all over the Gulf coast as well. He also is a sailing instructor and he can help you learn your boat. If you want to contact Blaine, please use the CONTACT link in the menu. I am sure you can learn a lot about your systems and your new to you IP.
Welcome to the IP fleet.
Hayden in Bimini and east bound
We have made the run from Miami to Marathon 5 times now. Four times outside in the Hawk Channel going out at Angelfish Creek, This year was the first year we ran south on the inside. We liked it so much we came back that way. We did not see any issues and we did not see shallow areas. We never touched and we are over loaded so out 4.5 foot draft has to be closer to 5 than 4.5. We really liked it and we will do it again. The water is calm, that are many places to anchor and it looks like this could be a fun place to spend weeks. We ran Miami to Tarpin Basin off Key Largo. 55 nm. Then the next day we stopped short of Marathon at Jewfish Hole just past Channel five bridge on the north side. Many crusiers are anchored all over in the tarpin basin. That has much to offer.
If you get a great wx window and if you want to sail more, then use Hawk but the inside was great and we enjoyed it. I am glad I now know that as well.
Hayden in Bimini Bahamas
I'm planning to head south to Marathon from Miami over the next few weeks and am trying to decide between Hawk Channel and the inside route. I would prefer the inside route due to the additional anchoring options. We draw 5' and looking at the charts it looks reasonable, but the Waterway Guide book says that anyone drawing over 4.5' should go outside. Hayden, I know y'all took the inside route this year but draw a little less than us, how were the depths? Anyone have any advice on inside vs outside for a vessel drawing 5'?