Photos

Photos
Albums

No more strained back!

Tuesday - April 3, 2007Views: 7569
After two years of looking I finally decided on a windlass. An IP38 has limited room for a horizontal mounted motor as found on most vertical windlass's and I just didn't like the looks of any of the above-deck horizontals. So I decided on a Lewmar Sprint 1500 vertical that happens to have a vertical motor configuration. WM also just happened to be clearing them out so the price was right. It did require a big hole in the deck but once I got past that it was a straightforward install. A piece of teak cut and planed to fit makes a flush mounting surface. I found 1/0 cables on Ebay at a good price and did the ends myself. The circuit breaker/switch is mounted under the forward bed because of the cable run. I also added a LED below the breaker to let me know when the windlass is powered. The cables in the anchor compartment are run through pvc pipe to protect them from the chain.

A board extends the divider so that the chain falls on the right side and after the photos were taken I installed a heavy piece of sewer pipe around the windlass motor so that the chain can't rub on it. I also installed a piece of wood covered with starboard to shoot the chain backwards. Two footswitches from Quick at 1/3 the price of WM finished the job. It sure is sweet to see that big anchor come up out of the water with no effort on my part!

Powered by SIMGallery from SIMBunch

We have 1154 guests and one member online