Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions

• Jeffrey Cardenas
  • Jeffrey Cardenas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5959 by Jeffrey Cardenas
Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions was created by Jeffrey Cardenas
Furl jammed tightly below the spreaders. Furling ratchet on Free. Tried strong outward pressure on foot with outhaul. Tried strong downward pressure on leach with mainsheet. Climbed the rig and tried pounding the jam free with a mallet and wooden peg. Even slacked the halyard. The furl is just wadded up inside the mast. I’m solo in an isolated anchorage. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5962 by IPABill
Replied by IPABill on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
The most reported issues with furling masts were resolved by making sure boom vangs were loose during furling/unfurling sequences. Don't know if RAISING the boom with the topping lift might help the current jam. MIght be worth a try. Hope it has resolved itself by now!

• Jeffrey Cardenas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5963 by Jeffrey Cardenas
Replied by Jeffrey Cardenas on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
Thank you for the suggestion but after six hours and three trips up the mast the solution was finally to remove the Bimini and pull the boom down below level. When I cranked again on the outhaul with max pressure the jam finally released. I just need to be a lot more cautious when I furl. I was sailing into a new anchorage after dark. I wasn’t focused on making a perfect furl and I paid the price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Islandoctor

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5964 by IPABill
Replied by IPABill on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
Good to hear. Rooting you on!

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5966 by Amekaya
Replied by Amekaya on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
The times that our mainsail jams I usually work it out by continuing to work the sail alternating between the outhaul and the furler. As Bill suggested take off the vang, raise the boom and having wind helps. When I get it out to where it stops, I then furl it in a few turns with the outhaul stopped and then repeat on the outhaul to where it stops and then repeat the furling. Just before we left Rio Dulce last month I tried to get our main out after being in all summer. For whatever reason it was bunched up. It took me close to an hour of working it back and forth that way but it finally came out. Just work it until it stops and then go a little tighter. They key issue with the in-mast furling is it has to be kept tight when furling and unfurling just like you need to keep pressure on your other furlers when hauling in and out. Another thing I've found is that occasionally the furling line will jump over one of the screw threads and jam especially if unfurling too quickly. Hope that helps for next time.

• Jeffrey Cardenas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5967 by Jeffrey Cardenas
Replied by Jeffrey Cardenas on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
Thank you Amekaya. I will follow your suggestions. Another thing occurred to me...Sometimes I leave the ratchet on FREE after the sail is furled. I wonder if this lets the furled sail inside the mast slowly unwind making the bundle larger in diameter and thus more difficult to come out. I've got a good tight furl in now, and I'm leaving the gear set on RATCHET. It's a better discipline anyway, to prevent inadvertent unfurling in a squall. But in my case I've never had a problem with it coming out too easily :)

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5968 by Amekaya
Replied by Amekaya on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
It has always worked for me. Sometimes it takes patience. Also be careful not to exert too much force in any direction because that's when things bend or break. We have our outhaul and furling line run through clutches and I always keep them tight to prevent an inadvertent unfurling just like the headsail furlers are kept cleated off. When furling I try to be sure the boom is down so it keeps the sail flatter when going in. Anyway, good luck next time and feel free to reach out to me.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 1 week ago #6121 by pamelaburr
Replied by pamelaburr on topic Jammed Mainsail, Seeking Solutions
Admin note....I am not sure if this reply is in the correct place.........if not, will you please edit your post and place it under the correct thread. Thanks....

Well, it is just the preference that one has. My dad had once used the boat delivery service from ( www.wewilltransportit.com/boat-transport ) Florida to move our Yacht to our place. As it was a coast to coast service, everything including port availability was taken care by the boat delivery service provider.
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by hayden. Reason: seems to be wrong thread.

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 616 guests and 5 members online