IP 31 chain plate

More
2 hours 58 minutes ago #5905 by Chriswesty
Chriswesty replied the topic: IP 31 chain plate
Hello Cliff, I recently read your article and I am installing my chain plates port side this weekend.I just have one question. How did you apply the epoxy to the fiberglass strands? Did you wet them down first on a table on plastic ( like the Mack Sails YouTube video) then bring them in and install them? Or did you brush them in directly once the plate was inside the boat? Also did you use a brush or a roller to apply the epoxy to the hull? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 hour 56 minutes ago #5906 by cj
cj replied the topic: IP 31 chain plate
Chris
The way I installed mine is as follows:
First, I had mine made individually, so if yours are made as a one unit it may be harder.
I had a helper for this part of the install.
I soaked the part of the strands that wrapped around the chainplates, and had a bit of epoxy microball mix paste on the top of the angle piece where it butts up to the deck. Then I took it and pushed it through the deck where my helper attached the stay to it, he tightened the stay up to put some tension on the chainplate. Then I wetted down the strains with the epoxy. I did this in August in FL so it was very hot... if I remember right, I had over an hour work time ... you should have more with the cooler temps if you are using the slow cure, which was recommended by a fiberglass guy I know. Cliff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds

We have 578 guests and one member online