IP32 hull 'oil canning' ?

• Handsoff
  • Handsoff's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #6490 by Handsoff
IP32 hull 'oil canning' ? was created by Handsoff
Hi,
I was having a survey done on my 93 IP32. The surveyor said the hull was oiling canning. He said he never saw this before. As proof he sent me the pictures below.

So my questions are:
1. How can I confirm this is true?
2. If true, how would one repair it?

Thanks in advance for any help
Marshall
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #6496 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic IP32 hull 'oil canning' ?
Marshall:
I can see the pushed in area in your first photo, that is very odd. This area is deep on the hull and inside the boat, this might be able to be found in one of your sofa lockers. I would try to look inside the boat and see if you can see the same dent inside. If it is flexing in this area, which I would find hard to believe, then you could stiffen this area from the inside by adding a fiberglass raised rib type area glassed to the inside of the hull.

On our IP 35, we had the starboard bow flexing inward and then popping back outward while sailing hard on the wind. The factory sent me material to add a fiberglass raised rib into the hull from the inside. This took care of my bow flexing.

All newer IPs have these fiberglassed in reinforcements, our older hulls do not.

As for the peeling paint and the small gap shown in the second photo, that is not a big deal at all. Simply flak off the paint in that area, paint on some Interprotect epoxy and then paint new bottom paint.

As for your dent, look inside and see if you can reinforce this area. it is very odd that you have that. I have never seen this before either since 1991 owning IPs and looking at IPs.

Hayden....on a mooring ball in Stuart, FL

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

• Handsoff
More
5 years 4 months ago #6502 by Handsoff
Replied by Handsoff on topic IP32 hull 'oil canning' ?
Thanks Hayden,
I would like to know how it happened. I did run aground in sand but was able to back the boat off without difficulty. I just wondering if I might have hit a rock or something when this happened. In any event, I plan to haul the boat out, repair the damage and check on the inside lockers for flexing and damage.

Anybody know a boat yard on the west coast of Florida where I might effect this repair?

Marshall

More
5 years 4 months ago #6503 by hayden
Marshall
I too am not sure how it happened.

Here are two places to ask for quotes.

Salt Creek near St. Pete
www.embreemarine.com/

Manatee River, Palmetto, Fl.
Snead Island Boatworks

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• Handsoff
More
5 years 4 months ago #6508 by Handsoff
Thx. I’ll check it out next week
Marshall

• Handsoff
More
4 years 8 months ago #6616 by Handsoff
It took me a while but the boat is now at Embree Marine where they are trying to figure why the hull flexes. The boat has been on the hard now for 2 weeks and all the dents have popped out. Frankly, Embree is at a loss to figure out what is happening. The drilled core samples looking for delamination and there is none. The raw water thru hull has been removed and when you step on this area from the inside it does flex a bit.. Is this normal? I visited the IP factory and talked to one of the few guys still around when the boat was built in 93. He did not know - guessed maybe bad repair.

Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As I live in Switzerland it is difficult to organise things long distance.

Hayden, you mentioned you had a similar issue and IP sent you the materials to reinforce the area. How did you accomplish that? When I went to IP factory they did not seem too interested. Can you describe what material they sent and how you used to to reinforce your boat. Do you know Chad at Embree? I would like to explain what you did to them.

Thank you all for your help. I really do love my boat.

More
4 years 8 months ago #6617 by hayden
Marshall
Embree should be able to stiffen this. The material that was sent to me by the original factory, was:
double layer thick 3/4" plywood cut into about 6" wide strips about 4 feet long. These pieced then had transverse saw cuts across the wood cutting about halfway thru. These cuts were every 1/2" to 1" making the wood strips bendable. Remember, I was adding stiffening into the starboard bow of our IP 35. So, we removed the hull liner and then cleaned and sanded the hull. We epoxied one strip to the hull running fore and aft and then we applied fiberglass resin and fiberglass over this wooden rib. This then dried and made like a little I beam of support. This is how the factory does this on new boats. They add these ribs to the large section of the bow to prevent it from oil canninig when bashing into a sea.
This solved ours.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• Handsoff
More
4 years 8 months ago #6618 by Handsoff
Thank you for the reply. I sent your comment to Embree. Hopefully this will resolve my problem. I presume when you glassed in the supports that it was done from the inside in the lower hull starboard side and not in the storage compartments. If so, it is hard to work in that area.

More
4 years 8 months ago #6619 by hayden
Yes, it was inside on the bow then the hull liner covered it all back up. Not as easy in the floor. Good luck with it all. Let us know what they do.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• Handsoff
More
4 years 8 months ago #6620 by Handsoff
Thanks again Hayden. Sorry to disturb one more time, but what is a hull liner? Not familiar with this. Where is it?
Marshall

More
4 years 8 months ago #6621 by hayden
Marshall:
The hull liner is the material you see inside the yacht when you look at the hull. It is a think 1/4" plywood covered with a material to give the hull a finished look. It is just screwed to wood blocks on the hull. That is what the hull liner is.
No worries asking.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• Handsoff
More
4 years 8 months ago #6622 by Handsoff
Thanks for all your help Hayden. I wish I was at Embree so I could check for a hull liner instead of Switzerland. But I just don't remember seeing a lining. BTW, Chad from Embree had a similar idea for strengthening the hull. I'm waiting for a quote for the work.
Marshall

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds

We have 1006 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.