Hull osmosis

• Borvaprops
  • Borvaprops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #6180 by Borvaprops
Hull osmosis was created by Borvaprops
Hello all, great forum!!! I would like to know from all you owners out there if anyone has encountered hull osmosis on their boat?

Cheers,

Gabe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6181 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Hull osmosis
Gabe,
Yes I am aware of two boats, both IP 350s, both in Lake Erie at Sandusky Harbor Marina, in 2001 or 2002. One was hull #07 1997, mine, Island Star and one other about a 1998? Hull Number unkown, the boat name at that time was Simple Pleasures as I recall. Both were fixed under warranty, neither were barrier coated. Both hand small blisters - about the size of a pencil eraser, a few dozen, not bad, and they were mostly toward the aft end of the keel.

At the time the conventional wisdom from the Petit paint technical rep for the Great Lakes and the Yard Manager was that blisters are more common in fresh water because the molecules are smaller??? I have no idea if this is true. I had no more problems with my boat in the next three years after she was fixed. I bought a 1995 IP 40 that had been in Lake Michigan for the first 12 years of her life - no blisters and no barrier coat. Go figure? When I had the fresh water paint, VC 17, sanded off I had it barrier coated because I figured that they might have damaged the gel coat. I have had no blisters - been in salt water since the barrier coat. During this time we were in the marina in Lake Erie there were several non-IPs that had very bad blister problems. Some new and some old boats. A new Hunter with terrible blister, which Hunter fixed under warranty and some older Catalinas which were quite bad.

Only a few data points - hope this helps.

George

• Borvaprops
  • Borvaprops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6182 by Borvaprops
Replied by Borvaprops on topic Hull osmosis
Hi George, thank you for your reply. This is the first I hear of osmosis in fresh water but again I'm no expert on the subject. We are currently looking at a boat that has been labeled with osmosis. I wanted to hear from other owners with similar experience as I have not heard much osmosis with IP's in general.

More
1 month 1 week ago #6286 by milzee60
Replied by milzee60 on topic Hull osmosis
I'm about to buy a 2006 IP 370 and the survey has shown up some patches of blisters on one side (port). I'm guessing that being 12 years old the warranty will no longer apply.

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #6289 by ip485
Replied by ip485 on topic Hull osmosis
Yes, I would expect so, I think it was a 10 year guarantee.

In any event, I suspect the change of ownership of IP might negate any guarantee anyway.
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by ip485.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #6497 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Hull osmosis
Hull osmosis is uncommon on the IPs and is not heard of often. Blisters may happen and are not usually a big deal. The blisters can easily be popped and then sanded and epoxy barrier coated, several coats and then the bottom paint applied.

With the Island Packet Yacht factory into new ownewrship, I do not see the hull warranties of past manufactured yachts by the original IPY factory (Traditional Watercraft, Bob Johnson/Bill Bolin) as being serviced by this new factory owner and new company. I have not heard anything about that.

Right now they new team is focused on building and selling the IP 349, the Blue Jacket, and Seaward Yachts.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 1102 guests and no members online