Hull osmosis

• Borvaprops
  • Borvaprops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #6180 by Borvaprops
Hull osmosis was created by Borvaprops
Hello all, great forum!!! I would like to know from all you owners out there if anyone has encountered hull osmosis on their boat?

Cheers,

Gabe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #6181 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Hull osmosis
Gabe,
Yes I am aware of two boats, both IP 350s, both in Lake Erie at Sandusky Harbor Marina, in 2001 or 2002. One was hull #07 1997, mine, Island Star and one other about a 1998? Hull Number unkown, the boat name at that time was Simple Pleasures as I recall. Both were fixed under warranty, neither were barrier coated. Both hand small blisters - about the size of a pencil eraser, a few dozen, not bad, and they were mostly toward the aft end of the keel.

At the time the conventional wisdom from the Petit paint technical rep for the Great Lakes and the Yard Manager was that blisters are more common in fresh water because the molecules are smaller??? I have no idea if this is true. I had no more problems with my boat in the next three years after she was fixed. I bought a 1995 IP 40 that had been in Lake Michigan for the first 12 years of her life - no blisters and no barrier coat. Go figure? When I had the fresh water paint, VC 17, sanded off I had it barrier coated because I figured that they might have damaged the gel coat. I have had no blisters - been in salt water since the barrier coat. During this time we were in the marina in Lake Erie there were several non-IPs that had very bad blister problems. Some new and some old boats. A new Hunter with terrible blister, which Hunter fixed under warranty and some older Catalinas which were quite bad.

Only a few data points - hope this helps.

George

• Borvaprops
  • Borvaprops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6182 by Borvaprops
Replied by Borvaprops on topic Hull osmosis
Hi George, thank you for your reply. This is the first I hear of osmosis in fresh water but again I'm no expert on the subject. We are currently looking at a boat that has been labeled with osmosis. I wanted to hear from other owners with similar experience as I have not heard much osmosis with IP's in general.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

We have 720 guests and one member online