Removal of teak eyebrows

• bpterrell
  • bpterrell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #4100 by bpterrell
Removal of teak eyebrows was created by bpterrell
Any advice about removing the eyebrows and replacing them with a painted stripe or manufactured stripping
Park
2001 IP350

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #4108 by rlwestlake
Replied by rlwestlake on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Yes. Don't do it. They're easy to maintain and you will affect the resale value. Why would you do that?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #4109 by Glory
Replied by Glory on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Obviously we don't have a complete story but I would also agree here, the teak on an Island Packet is one of the selling features, a thing of beauty and part of the charm of the brand. I could understand removing it if it was damaged, although I would probably call the factory and try and get a replacement. I spent two seasons bringing all the teak back on our boat and although it isn't factory new it adds so much to the look it was well worth the effort. Now it's a matter of doing a maintenance coat annually.

Craig

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #4111 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Park:

Funny thing, I always seem to have an opposing viewpoint to some IP owners. Here, on this one, I would not see any downside to removing the teak eyebrow. Matter of Fact, when I had our IP35 in the factory for a refit in 2013, I considered having the factory replace mine with their plastic one they use on the SP cruiser. They can sell you the plastic half round molding that can then be put in place of the teak.

I do maintain our teak with 5-7 coats of Epifanes varnish and it is not that bad to take care of IF you keep up with it. I will say, the eyebrow teak is the piece I curse the most. So, I can feel your pain and I understand your desire to remove it and replace it with plastic. Again, I see no downside. I will say, the boat does need something there, either a tape stripe or plastic or teak. Without it, I think it would look very odd.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
3 years 1 week ago #4130 by Ed Finn
Replied by Ed Finn on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Stainless Steel 1/2 moulding
Would work

• bpterrell
  • bpterrell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 1 week ago #4140 by bpterrell
Replied by bpterrell on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Thank you all for your insight. Hayden, good suggestion, will call IP about the plastic replacement. My issue is the tedious maintainance of the eyebrow. I use Honey Teak. This will be the third time to redo, once four years ago when I purchased, two years ago, and now the refinishing needs to be touched up, not completely redone.
Park

More
3 years 6 days ago - 3 years 6 days ago #4142 by Angelfish
Replied by Angelfish on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Ah yes, that eyebrow! What a pain, but after the initial 8 coats of Epifanes, it really is easy to tape, lightly sand, and put one coat on. Actually, another IP owner told me about a round brush that Epifanes makes, that works really well. He doesn't even tape before varnishing. However, I always tape before that light sanding. The key to whole process it to stay on top of it. Re-doing the entire thing by stripping, sanding, taping a couple of times, and varnishing is very time consuming. I really love the look of varnished teak, so I can't really recommend taking the teak off. But, Hayden's idea of plastic might be a good one. But I sure would have to look long and hard at it before I removed the original teak.

This fall, we are going to re-do the rub rails and cap rails. We have to take off the stainless part on the rub rails and clean all the old Cytol off of it. I'm not sure if we will get around the entire boat this fall, but we will peck away at it and do as much as we can (tolerate).

Once upon a time, long, long ago, we restored an old house (built in 1917). It was a challenge, but our (only) 20 year old IP is as much or more of a challenge. :)
Last edit: 3 years 6 days ago by Angelfish.

More
3 years 4 days ago #4150 by Glory
Replied by Glory on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
One of the old timers at our club came over to chat as I was working on another coat of Cetol on our boat. I was taping everything off and he said that he no longer tapes off the teak on his boat but instead purchases an inexpensive set of plastic putty knives at the box store. The putty knives are 1" to 4" wide and he uses them as a moving brush guard instead of the blue tape. You slide the putty knife along the teak where it touches the gelcoat as you varnish. I tried it this past spring and it works like a champ, saved me hours and hours of taping. The smaller putty knife can be used where the radius of that pesky eyebrow gets tight.

More
1 week 4 days ago #6161 by Galileo
Replied by Galileo on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
When you had the stainless steel off the edge of the Teak Cap Rail did you happen to take any photographs of what the teak looked like? If so, if you could share those I would greatly appreciate that. I'm interested in how the teak wood strip underneath the edge of the Cap Rail looks. Mine has a small gap in some areas back near the latter 1/4 of the hull.

Thanks,

Larry Rossi
Galileo IP 37 #44
Cambridge, Maryland

More
2 days 11 hours ago #6170 by ip485
Replied by ip485 on topic Removal of teak eyebrows
Bare teak?

I find the problem with the eyebrows is the water running off tends to leave to streak marks on the side of the coachroof.

I have gone back to bare teak on the eyebrows and toerails.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds

We have 575 guests and 2 members online