Getting Ready to Order Sails

• PlumBob
  • PlumBob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #1781 by PlumBob
Getting Ready to Order Sails was created by PlumBob
We're planning to order new sails in the next few weeks. I'm looking at North Sails, Radian series. Anybody have experience with these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #1782 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
I have North Sails and really like them. They are more expensive than others. You should also get a bid from Quantum, as another IP owner just ordered from them and found a far better deal.

Quantum Sails
951 Bay Ridge Road
Annapolis, MD 21403
(410) 268-1161

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
5 years 7 months ago #1787 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
??????????? I am confused about how the Reply vs Quick Reply features work. I may have already replied, but here it is again.

We put new sails on Delicia about 3 years ago. We went with Mack Sails because of price and delivery time. We have used them alot and have had no problems. They are heavy by design and have required no maintenance in 10,000 NM.

George / S/V Delicia

• PlumBob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1790 by PlumBob
Replied by PlumBob on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
I've priced another brand, too. But if I order during the boat show (end of Jan) I'll get 20% off the entire order.... Hard to pass up.

Plus, the rep will come out and measure - so if it's not right, he gets to reorder :) . Then he will come out and install them later, and we'll all go for a test sail - which spells "lessons" as far as I'm concerned. I've also got him to promise to go out for formal "lessons" after that - in as much as he's an old racing instructor.

All of which is important to me, because I've already heard "Oh, it's too bad you bought the Island Packet. You won't be able to race," yada, yada, yada.... So I want all the help I can get, particularly around the buoys.... LOL
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by PlumBob.

More
5 years 4 months ago #1924 by sapper
Replied by sapper on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
I have a 1993 IP38 that needs a good used head sale; blew mine out in the last race. luff=44'4", leach = 42'3", foot = 24'1" with a #6 foil, I believe. Anyone have a head sail for sell that comes close?

More
5 years 4 months ago #1925 by hayden
Sapper / Bob:
If you are looking for used sails, then try Bacons Sails in Annapolis, MD. They have a large inventory.
www.baconsails.com
Hayden in Eleuthera Bahamas

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• PlumBob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #1989 by PlumBob
Replied by PlumBob on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
New Norths are on the way. Supposed to be here Friday o/

More
5 years 4 months ago #1991 by Augydoggy
Replied by Augydoggy on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
We have Quantum sails that came with our boat. I believe they were new in 2007. They're still in excellent condition. Construction is heavy duty and the quality seems to be quite good. We just had them inspected, cleaned and new sun covers put on and the sails are like brand new.

Tom Ward
IP420-35
"La Vida Dulce"

More
3 years 9 months ago #3600 by Don370
Replied by Don370 on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
Hi All,

New owner of an IP370 (#7 2004) this year. I thought rather than starting a new thread to continue with this one. I am considering new sails and to take advantage of Annapolis Boat Show specials. I have been quoted by both North and Ullman. Of course north is ~ 25% more even with discounts. I see several people have them and endorse them but what about Ullman? I know new IP's have them from a loft in florida. There is a loft for North near me in Shelter Island NY which helps quite a bit but still a fair amount more. I know Mack and Quantum (what are the original sails on the boat) are favorites as well but again not that close for measuring and any adjustments. Any info would be great and look forward to meeting many of you on the water.

Fair winds,

Don

More
3 years 9 months ago #3601 by hayden
Don:

I have North Sails, and have for many years. Today, I would order MACK SAILS. With Mack sails they only make one level of sail. They do not make the coastal sail, the offshore sail, the ocean crossing sail, like North and all others. They simply make one sail that can be sailed around the world with the best fabric and all USA MADE and USA sewn.

With North and many of the sailmakers, they computer cut the sails in one loft, then ship a kit to China, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, and how knows where. It then gets made there, offshore, and it is dropped shipped back to you. I know it is a global market, but if I have a choice to buy from a USA family business like MACK SAILS, and I know the sail is cut and made right in Stuart Florida, USA by the family and their USA people, then that is the company for me.

So, I recommend that you look into a quote from Mack Sails, that is the way I will go with my next set of sails. USA made for me. Why not?

macksails.com/

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #3603 by IP320-30
Replied by IP320-30 on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
After 10 years with a cross cut main with roller furling mast, our mainsail became over stretched and bunched and jammed when going in and out of the mast.

We replaced with a North radian main and have been very happy with it. Its construction makes it less prone to stretching.

Al

IP 320-30
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by IP320-30.

More
3 years 8 months ago #3664 by [email protected]
We are looking a new sails. Sobstads are on there now...maybe original from 1999. We got a price from them and it was half of what North or Quantum wanted. Made in Cleveland although they do offer a cheaper sail made offshore. Any disgruntled Sobstad owners?

More
3 years 8 months ago #3665 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
I have had good luck with Quantum sails, when we sailed in Lake Erie. They had a good reputation.

That said, I would give Mack Sails a chance to bid. We have 19,000nm +- on our Mack sails great sails, tough as nails. They were very competitively priced. And they will make them at any weight you want. We know many who have Mack Sails and they seem to have universally good experience.
George
S/V Delicia

More
2 years 8 months ago #4437 by Rick S
Replied by Rick S on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
We plan extended coastal cruising starting in the Spring, 2016 and are ordering new sails for our IP 370. Mack Sails are highly recommended on this site and by others. They use a high quality fabric (Challenge Marblehead) and build a miter cut Genoa. I've spoken to a few people including a loft here in Texas that say miter cut is old school and we should get a common cross cut sail. Any comments?
Rick Stewart
s/v Moon Eye, IP 370, #21
Kemah, Texas

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #4439 by Augydoggy
Replied by Augydoggy on topic Getting Ready to Order Sails
Rick - We have a new Main built by Mack. Haven't flown it yet but our experience with the company was good and the price was excellent. I copied a part of their website to help answer your question about the miter cut.

"The MiterCut Dacron Genoa

Forty years ago virtually every genoa made for performance sailing was miter cut, like the drawing at the left---whether constructed of cotton, nylon or the then new Dacron. The miter in these sails was not simply a benign seam to hold the two halves of the sail together, but rather, a very sophisticatedly crafted avenue into the heart of the sail, that when done right, could anticipate the natural stretching and locking of the fibers in the cloth, guaranteeing that the draft would stay forward and the after area of the sail would stay lat and clean. Sailmaker's reputations were built on the execution of their miters---perhaps none more so than Hood sails of the 1960's. (Many hard-used Hood genoas can be found today that look and perform better than their two or three year old counterparts from "modern lofts"). But, by the 70's mitered genoas were being pushed into obscurity by the pressure of modern economics (the miter is labor intensive) and production requirements (it takes trained sailmakers---not kids hired off the street). Sailmakers were also eager to produce sails that were "fast out of the bag" . In reality, such sails were a little less fast each and every time used. The fact remains that material does stretch, no matter whether it's new modern Kevlar, Spectra, Technora, Mylar and certainly Dacron-only cloth---and it's the responsibility of sailmakers to deal with the problem. In exotic materials the solution is to radiate the panels out from each of the load corners of the sail. This is simple with CAD-CAM, and competent because laminates are much more stable than woven- only cloth. But, woven-only Dacron is the odds-on favorite for cruising sails: lower cost and the incredible durability of 15-20 years in many sails. So, If the material is so durable, why not execute the design and construction to hold the shape in place as well? Bravo, the miter cut---especially for roller reefing genoas---which is practically every genoa built today. Other sailmakers simply make cross-cut genoas and shrug their shoulders about the consequences. We take the extra time and skill (and charge a 10% premium) necessary to build a truly long-lasting, stay-flat when reefed, genoa---for serious cruising performance. Some sailmakers offer radial cut genoas from woven-only cloth; but we do not, because the breakdown is rapid and the resulting washboard looking sail is something we would not want our name on."
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Augydoggy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barney1964

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

We have 703 guests and 2 members online