Island Packet 485 Holding Tank Material

• Vyg
  • Vyg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
9 months 1 week ago #5941 by Vyg
Can anyone advise what material holding tanks and water tanks of IP 485 were made of? Was it aluminum, or a newer fiberglass design?

Thanks. Rosty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 5 days ago #5943 by ip485
Replied by ip485 on topic Island Packet 485 Holding Tank Material
Holding and water tanks are fibreglass, diesel is aluminium. I have seen a 485 advertised with stainless diesel but I suspect the listing is wrong.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5951 by IPABill
Replied by IPABill on topic Island Packet 485 Holding Tank Material
It's possible an owner replaced the AL fuel tank with a SS one, but be cautious. The certification process for a reliable SS fuel tank didn't lend itself well to the space available on the 485 (the tank should be cylindrical, for example). I'd be leary of a rectangular SS fuel tank.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5953 by ip485
Yes, of course. I have heard of one with a small leak, so it is possible tank(s) have been replaced.

I did speak to the original suppliers, and inevitably no one knows how long the tank will last, and as ever I guess aluminium fuel tanks can be subject to corrosion, especially from water in the bottom of the tank, and (even more) from water around the seating area at the base of the tank.

I have had discussion with another owner and replacing the tank would be possible but a reasonably large job. You raise an interesting point that it sounds more complicated were the tank to be replaced with a stainless tank.

The original suppliers seemed to think a stainless tank could have been specified (perhaps with a different shape as you suggest) but was not - doubtless to save on cost.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5954 by IPABill
Indeed! We looked into SS fuel and water tanks for a European customer but the requirements to meet CE and ABYC requirements were lengthy, and the cylindrical tank configuration requirement made the usable tankage much less to boot. Someone may have constructed a rectangular SS tank, but it would meet no standards that I am familiar with. Aluminum, properly cared for, should last a very long time. I doubt that one percent of the fuel tanks on any IP have been replaced, and that covers 2,500 boats and almost 40 years of service on the first boats!

The factory refit program offered replacement fuel tanks at a cost of just under $10k. Not a simple job, but not impossible, either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain Scott

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5955 by ip485
www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/150195/ISLAND-PACKET-485.html

I found the listing. I may know the yacht, but I am not sure. It was listed and having all its tanks in stainless, including water.

www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/150195/ISLAND-PACKET-485.html

I am glad to hear about the longevity.

IPABill - I am not sure if you are from the factory or an owner or your interest - sorry if I dont know everyone on here all that well. By all means PM but am always interested in anyone that "knows" about 485s!!

I am so pleased with mine - there has been a long list of jobs but just about everything I wanted done, now including complete new rig, leds on everything (rig and cabin), a/c, davits, new table, new Raymarine, new sails, new canvas, dive compressor, the list goes on!

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5956 by IPABill
Sorry. I DID work for the factory for 29 years and ended up launching a customer support website ( www.islandpacketancestry.com ) to help owners of older IP models. I still use "we" when I refer to IP factory information out of habit. I am familiar with the boat in the listing as it was built for the customer I referenced earlier. Perhaps they did install stainless tanks at a later time. I have a contact in The Netherlands and I will reach out to see if they know. Interesting indeed!

Bill

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5957 by IPABill
Heard back already from my Dutch friend. He says that it is listed that way "by fault of De Valk. So, probably an error.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 1700 guests and one member online