• Dkemens
  • Dkemens's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #5244 by Dkemens
Dkemens created the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion

Hello fellow Ipyo!

A bit of an introduction; I'm brand new here. I just purchased my ip27 about a month ago. My wife and I have no prior sailing experience, but I've been an armchair sailor for some time. The island packet has always been something of a dream, so I'm very proud to call Jolly Mon (Kent Island, Md) my first boat. She's solid, sturdy, and forgiving as long as the wind is stronger than the current.

To the heart of the matter...

She had the original aluminum, welded holding tank she was launched with. I'll attach pictures of that unfortunate situation. Needless to say, parts were rotten out and sewerage has, for who knows how long, been flowing in to the holding tank and then directly in to the head cabinet (under the faucet) and out the shower drain. The smell was something else.

I've ripped that beast out and done away with the kra[p]ken. I'm thankful for my newly found storage space (and thankful it's no longer however many gallons of excrement). My plans are to remove the head entirely and replace it with a composting airhead toilet.

I'm a software engineer - so concepts like "loosely coupled" and "non breaking" (as in, if it goes, it doesn't affect anything else) resonate throughout all facets of my life. The airhead meets those requirements.

My two unknowns are this:
1. Where can I find the seacock for the head pump? I haven't seen it yet and I don't want to disconnect things prior to knowing how to stop the flow of water into my boat. Perhaps under the head?

2. The airhead composting toilet needs a negative pressure fan (ie. Solar vent). Since I have no holding tank or need for a pump out, is it conceivable that I could use the hole in the hull where the pump out currently exists as a hole to fit a solar vent? The fewer holes in the boat the better, just not sure if this is feasable.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hayden.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #5251 by cj
cj replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
I installed an Airhead on my IP31...... IMO the best improvement anyone can make to a boats head system. I posted some pictures of the install on the Home Port website. I don't think using your deck pump out fitting for the solar vent is a good idea, unless it's located on the cabin house of the 27. It's probably on the side deck, and the solar vent will interfere with walking. Good luck with your installation.
Cliff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dkemens

More
1 year 1 month ago #5253 by hayden
hayden replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
Cliff
I would like to see your photos of your composting head install.

Could you please add a photo here and share that here as well? Thank you.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 year 1 month ago #5254 by Mark Waymouth
Mark Waymouth replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
First congrats on your purchase. I too have an IP27 and love it.
You will find the through hull discharge sea clock u dear the starboard settee I roughly the middle of the settee. You will find the water intake off of the cooling water intake under the quarter berth.
I o not know the workings of an air head but I would think you could mount a solar vent in the hatch of the head area.
The pump out hose is a flash deck mount and therefore I do not think this would be a good location for a vent

More
1 year 1 month ago #5255 by okbayou
okbayou replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
I installed an airhead toilet on my IP27 last year. I replaced the glass in the window with lexan(plexiglass) and cut a hole in it for the vent. I put a cover from www.seaworthygoods.com/ over the window to keep water from the vent outlet. I put a second hole with another fan next to it but I don't recommed it unless you keep the fan going otherwise if the wind is blowing the wrong way bad odors come back in from the vent. As long as the fan is running, it's not a problem. Eventually I plan to remove the holding tank and use the space for another water tank or replace the existing water tank with a bigger one.

More
1 year 1 month ago #5256 by cj
Hayden
I'll try and find them... and post them when I do. I did this about 5 years ago, and have changed computers since.
Cliff

More
1 year 1 month ago #5257 by hayden
Cliff:
No worries, don't go digging. I thought maybe you just did this. I just do not know many people that have this set up.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 year 1 month ago #5258 by cj
Hayden
I just got them off Home Port .... when I try to create a photo album here, it just keeps spinning... will not open.

More
1 year 1 month ago #5259 by hayden
OK: Then please email them to me, and I will post them...
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thank you, and sorry for the glitch. we are working through new version updates etc.

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

• Dkemens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #5260 by Dkemens
Dkemens replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
Thank you, everybody, for the information! It's very helpful. I believe I've located the seacock - so that's a good step one. In the IP27, the freshwater tank sits directly next to and lower than the holding tank - so we pulled that out to clean under and around it and found that the unspeakables had started to corrode and rot out the bottom of that tank, so it's gone also. I'm ordering a plastic trionics tank today (exact same dimensions).

It's a bummer that I can't use the pump out - but you are all right, it's flush mount and thus would be a tripping hazard. I'm reluctant to run the 2" ventilation tube through the visible portion of the head... it seems bulky and unsightly, so I might have to get creative. I'll be sure to document the process and post the install to this site.

Thanks again, all!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Dkemens.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #5261 by hayden
Here are Cliff's pictures of his Air Head install. Thank you Cliff.

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hayden.

More
1 year 1 week ago #5329 by gero
gero replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
Hello everyone! My IP 27 holding tank is also leaking. Dkemens, did you have any luck with the Airhead? I've seen in their website that they suggest installing the fan on the anchor chain locker.
It'd also be interesting to have the option to discharge overboard for when cruising long passages, I'm not sure if that's possible with an Airhead, and how the connections would be. Any thoughts?

• Dkemens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 1 week ago #5330 by Dkemens
Dkemens replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
Hey Gero,

I haven't yet done the install; I got caught up with some other projects and decided to push the head till after the holidays. I intend to in January as long as the weather is friendly enough. I plan on running the vent straight up like in Hayden's pictures.

That being said, discharging overboard would probably be most simply achieved by dumping it overboard (leeward). The dry tank would not be easily "flushed" and the fluid tank is not really set up for more connections. I think you're best course of action would to pick it up and dump it over the side.

More
1 year 1 week ago #5334 by cj
The Air Head pictures are from my installation on my IP31. The solids tank contents will last for over a month for 2 people if prep properly... no need to dump anything overboard ..ever. When full you can just dump the contents in a kitchen trash bag and throw it in the trash it when you go ashore... it just turns into a fertilizer type material. ... then just reprep the tank with new Coco Tek. Been using this system for 5 years...I would never go back to a traditional marine head system.. nothing but potential problems.

More
2 months 5 days ago #5802 by kmercer
kmercer replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
Dear okbayou, I have an IP27 also and have measured for the airhead toilet. I don't see how it will fit. The "deck" the current head sits on is 7" high. The airhead is 19.75" high. Thats 27" high to sit on. It seems you would need a ladder to climb on the seat. Did you mount yours on the deck, starboard side? What am I missing? Thanks so much. Ken

More
2 months 4 days ago #5803 by okbayou
okbayou replied the topic: 87 ip27 head conversion
I extended the platform out a bit to make it easier to use the head. Still allows room to get to the sink although it is a little tight. I got rid of the liquid container and replaced it with a short section of PVC pipe and used a diaphram pump to pump liquid to the holding tank or overboard depending on the boat's location. Just finished installing it last night and works great!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 2.002 seconds

We have 427 guests and no members online