Thru hull question

• islanddreamer
  • islanddreamer's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #5203 by islanddreamer
Thru hull question was created by islanddreamer
We have an IP445. We would prefer not to add another thru hull for our watermaker and would prefer to use an existing one. We are thinking of using the fridge drain thru hull which is currently a 3/4" unit. We would put in a 1.5" thru hull, add a water strainer and add a "T" for the water maker just past the strainer. We would also add a second "T" in line for a washdown pump and then the inlet for the fridge drain.

Does anyone see problems with this? Are we missing anything?

What type/brand of thru hull do you recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #5205 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Thru hull question
Island Dreamer
Yes I have a couple of concerns about your plan.
While I am not that familiar with the IP 445; some frig drains are very close to the water line, and you want the water maker intake as deep as possible. For two reasons – one you don’t want to pick up air bubbles and have them “exploding” thru the membrane. You want to be able to make water underway and the boat can be rolling around in a sea way and can create a lot of bubbles. Second, oil floats on the water, and you will have less chance of picking it up the deeper your water pick up. The oil will destroy the membrane. You will find it very use full to run the water maker briefly at the dock before heading off shore just to check it out before you get away from spares and water maker expert help. Oil or gas floating on the water can be an issue in port. If your frig drain is very deep then these issues may not be a consideration. But if I understand your approach correctly you will still stand the chance of sucking material spilled in the refrig into the water maker. Think “soap or bleach or mayo” none will help the water maker.
Next, where do you plan to install your water maker and the wash down pump? Your planned water maker location is another consideration effecting your thru hull choice. It will affect the location of the filters, boost pump, and overboard drain – 95% of the intake water goes overboard as waste. Is it going to be close to the wash down pump or the close to the refrig? I don’t think you want hoses running all over the boat just so you can use a specific thu hull. Even if you do use the refrig thu hull you will have a supply hose or pressure hose running to the front of the boat for the wash down pump.
My advice would be to add a thru hull for the water maker intake and share it with the wash down if the installation locations make sense. You won’t be using the wash down while making water because you won’t want all the anchor mud in the water maker. What other thru hulls are available to share? Does the boat have air conditioning? If so where does it get its cooling water and reject its waste water? That may be another source. The head intake may also work if it isn’t shared with the engine. As a general rule I am uncomfortable sharing the engine intake because if (when) the strainer gets plugged the motor will suck all the water out of the water maker.
My two cents
George
S/V Delicia IP40

More
7 years 6 months ago #5206 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Thru hull question
Greorge, great reply, you always add such detailed and thoughtful replies. Thank you

Our watermaker planned install, I was going to tee into the AC thru hull but then decided to install a dedicated 3/4" thru hull into the galley floor locker allowing me to run the hose directly to the sail locker where I plan to install the Spectra Ventura 200t. I am a little crazy about leaving thru hulls open and with my AC intake, I find that we are not using it that often when cruising, so I keep it closed. Plus it is down deep in the bilge making it hard to open and close. So a dedicated one in the galley floor is where we installed it. Like George said, I hope it is deep enough.

Our discharge will be tied into the cock pit ice box locker drain, you know the silly small square locker in the seat that we all use for cleaning supplies. That locker has a drain hose to the boot stripe and it also have a seacock factory installed. I plan to discharge my watermaker into that line.

So, my thought is that when I want to make water, once a week, I guess, then I will open the one thru hull dedicated to the watermaker in the galley floor. This is the plan for mine. I will be installing this in early Nov, so photos to follow.

Here is the galley floor thru hull that was installed by Hinckley in Stuart Florida. I have not seen this yet.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #5208 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Thru hull question
Hayden,
That is great looking installation, the drain plan sounds great. It should be high enough, you will likely make water underway when motoring so you shouldn’t have much heel. Here are a few thoughts about your weekly usage plan - - You might consider running the WM every day. It is far more efficient to run it every 24 hours and never back flush it. That way you don’t waste 5 gallons of fresh water every time you run it. I replaced my first membrane after 7 years never back flushing it, and when I replaced it was still making 310 – 380 ppm water. In fact I have no provision to back flush it. I try to run it once a day and try never to go over 48 hrs. w/o running it. The manufacturer recommends no more than 72 hrs. w/o using or pickling. Even if I don’t need the water, I run it for about 15 minutes, just enough to clear the membrane and start making good water again, then shut it down. There are two other advantages to this operation protocol. 1. You don’t need a carbon filter or the back flush plumbing. 2. It is easier on the batteries – You don’t draw down so much because you have shorter runs. Your unit is much more power efficient than my old 160 Katadyn, so the power issues may not be as important. We use 22 amps for about 7 gal/hr.
As far as back flush and membrane health goes, all the membranes are the same – all made the same way and all covered by the same patent.
George
S/V Delicia, IP40

More
7 years 6 months ago #5209 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Thru hull question
George:
The drain idea i am hoping will work. Of course when we will be on a port tack, leaning to starboard the cockpit ice box drain will be under water. i am planning to redo this drain hose by adding a T into the top 1/4 of the run dumping the watermaker brine into that hose and allowing it to drain down to the boot strip. If that does not work over time, then I will add a stern thru hull and dump it there.

Your idea of running the watermaker every day which would prevent you from needing to back flush it is an interesting idea. The Spectra Ventura 200t makes 8 gal/hour and draws 9-10 amps DC. So we are hoping to run this off wind and solar mid day, say, noon to 1400 hrs. That would give us 16 gallons which is way more than we use. As for back flushing, I will install all the items very close to each other keeping the runs short and hoping this too will reduce back flush amounts, but I like your idea, just run it every day and do not back flush until stored.

I am also looking into the Z-brine module by Spectra that allows you to store the unit longer with our back flushing. I am still reading up and will do more inquiries at the Annapolis Boat Show next weekend.

I am hoping to be able to install the "feed pump module" and the filters on the top backside of the cockpit seat ice box. This is underset 5 1/5" and is 12: high, so this would keep the items up and out of the way in the sail locker. The feed pump module will go on the aft facing surface and the filters on the outboard facing surface. The high pressure clark pump and membrane unit will mount directly outboard of this area on a new shelf up high at the deck and hull joint, again, not wasting any sail locker space.

Thank you for all your great input, I really appreciate your postings.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
5 years 4 months ago #6525 by ttamasy
Replied by ttamasy on topic Thru hull question
Sounds very reasonable, go for it.

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds

We have 611 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.