Fuel Vent IP35

• Hannah
  • Hannah's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #6185 by Hannah
Fuel Vent IP35 was created by Hannah
Thank you for welcoming me into this forum. What a great group!
I was wondering if anyone had any experience replacing a fuel vent on an IP 35 though I suspect that many other models have the same vent setup.
The vent is clogged and needs replacing.
Let me know any particular considerations when replacing the vent.
Thank you!
Bernard
P.S.
My vent is on the stern next to the water vent on the port side. I believe the fuel vent is on the far left. Let me know if I am wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hannah
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #6186 by Hannah
Replied by Hannah on topic Fuel Vent IP35
Need a better pic
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Hannah.

More
5 years 8 months ago #6189 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Fuel Vent IP35
Bernard:
Welcome to the group, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the IP 35. As for the fuel vent line, you do not need to replace it. Here is what I have learned sonce 2001 with the IP 35.
#1. Remove the screen that is installed in the fuel vent line on the stern fitting. This can be done with a simple ice pick or small screwdriver. It is held in with a ring spring clip. This screen clogs up and prevents the line from venting.

#2. This vent hose may then still have a low point under the cabin floor and or it may be slightly pinched when the factory built these 35s, they pinched the fuel vent line on every 179 they built....DUH....very frustrating. So....so it is

#3. That means when you fill the fuel tank, it will back up at the fill nozzle which is why you think you have a blocked vent line. Well, the solution to this is to wrap a thick paper towel rolled up around the fule nozzle when filling. Insert the fuel hose all the way, then wrap a folded paper towel round the top at the deck. Now seal this gap with your hand holding the paper towel. NOT, you can push fuel into the tank and it will back up but the nozzle will shut off.

#4. With #3 in use, now you will find that the fuel vent line will hiss and spit fuel that is trapped in the low point of the fuel vent hose. So, one person needs to reach over the port tern corner and with a paper towel, cover the vent, and catch the spits. Meanwhile, you are controlling the fuel flow rate. If you slow down the fuel will flow in without spitting out the vent. Another trick is to run the pump full tilt for 30 seconds, then stop, allow the tank to vent, 10-15 sec, the run the pump full tilt again. Eventually you will figure out the pace and or the flow rate your IP 35 will take.

What I ahve found is, that fuel pumps do not like to run slowly and when you do that, it runs a lot of air into the fuel and it foams up. This also clogs the vent. When I get to a fuel hose that runs like a water garden hose at that rate, it is ZERO problems, it works great.

So, yes, the vent is pinched a bit, and yes take out the ven screen and then use these tricks to fuel an IP 35.

Hayden

PS:
Welcome to the fleet, you have a GREAT 35, I know it well.

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

• Hannah
More
5 years 8 months ago #6204 by Hannah
Replied by Hannah on topic Fuel Vent IP35
Yes, that sounds pretty frustrating, especially the part about the 2nd person over the stern, lol. What is one to do. I tried the pump for a while and then pause, then continue. I’ll give the paper towel trick a try. That should prevent most of the spillage.
Thanks for the kind words and for showing me these few tricks!
Bernard

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

We have 722 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.