Bow thruster install

• wtboehm
  • wtboehm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6148 by wtboehm
Bow thruster install was created by wtboehm
We are adding a bow thruster to our IP380. Intend to run the cables back to the house bank on the port side. The plan is to run cables from the thruster location through the v berth step. Is there room under that step to run the cables?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6150 by twofortheroads
Replied by twofortheroads on topic Bow thruster install
We have a 370 with a factory Side Power. The cables are 4/0 red/black back to the battery bank port side. When you do the math for loss due to the cables length 4/0 is about at the limit - but, it has worked fine now for 15 years. I have not studied how the cables are run within the boat, but could look if you are interested.

Another option that I know has been used by some other 380 owners is to place two grp 27 batteries in the bow with the thruster motor. Then use the 2/0 cable that is available from the windless to charge these batteries in the bow from the house bank. The thruster and windless would be connected to the bow batteries. If you go this route, it really does require two AGM batteries to provide the 400-500A draw of the bow thruster.

A bow thruster is a very good addition to reduce docking stress and for some other maneuvers.

• wtboehm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #6151 by wtboehm
Replied by wtboehm on topic Bow thruster install
Thanks so much! We considered the batteries but felt more comfortable going to the bank. I have heard some have had charging issues, etc. if it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate knowing how the factory ran the cables . I asked them but unfortunately didn't get much help. I hope that not an indication of what we can expect from the new ownership.

More
4 months 1 week ago #6155 by MessingAbout
Replied by MessingAbout on topic Bow thruster install
We have IP 380-88. Installed a bow thruster 9 yrs ago. We have a 6 battery house bank (have 2 additional batteries in the floor access panel under the captain station.). The bow thruster cables run down the port side of the boat to the batteries with a fuse able link in the battery compartment. Can take pics this week. We are underway till Thurs.

Chess and Karen
The Belle of Virginia

• wtboehm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 1 week ago #6156 by wtboehm
Thanks so much. Pictures would be wonderful. My most important concern is knowing how the cables are run from the thruster location to the port side hull.

Did you add the two batteries to the bank because of the thruster or were they added to support your needs on the hook away from shore power?

Thanks again so very much.

More
4 months 1 week ago #6160 by MessingAbout
Batteries added to bolster house bank. Am underway this week. Will send pics when we get to home marina later this afternoon.

Chess and Karen

• wtboehm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 months 4 days ago #6162 by wtboehm
Please do send the pictures when convenient. Or just describe how the cables are run from the thruster to the port side hull. Thanks so much...

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #6174 by MessingAbout
have the pics for routing from box through bulkheads to the battery box, and the power control switch. Email that you'd like me to use to send the pics. Chess. The Belle of Virginia, IP 380-88

• wtboehm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #6178 by wtboehm
Thanks so much! send pics to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. We do appreciate your help on this...

More
3 months 1 week ago #6183 by pad
Replied by pad on topic Bow thruster install
I am also in the beginning stages of laying out the cables for a bow thruster (Alcyone, 380-90). If you would, please forward the pix to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Thanks, Paul

Moderators: shawnee
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 801 guests and no members online