Companionway hatch screen (IP35).

• Dirish
  • Dirish's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #4901 by Dirish
Companionway hatch screen (IP35). was created by Dirish
After looking at the commercially available "framed" units, I want to buy or try to fabricate a roll up screen for the companionway hatch.

I envision something like a spring loaded window shade in which the roll up mechanism would attach to the front edge of the hatch lip. I would attach the screen, "pull" end, to a square rod which I would extend from the roll-up and position above my companionway cafe doors. I would attach the roll-up mechanism on the companionway lip with keyhole brackets so it could be easily installed or removed. I will post more information if I do follow through with this effort. Any information about such a design or alternative would be most welcome. Thanks.

Dick Irish
IP35-178 C'est l'heure
Rock Hall, MD
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Dirish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #4914 by hayden
Replied by hayden on topic Companionway hatch screen (IP35).
We had something similar on our IP 27, but it was simply fabric. It was attached to the hatch slide and then with the slide open all the way, it had one piece of screening that ran from the slide lid to the corner where the lide would be closed. At this point there was a dowel rod inserted into the fabric and from there it simply hung down to the bottom where another dowel rod was. To come and go was easy, you simply lifted the dowel rods and opened it up. There was no need to slide the hatch as it remained in the open position. The top screen fabric was wide enough to over lap a few inches on the hatch slides. Then the vertical piece fit into the companion way board slots. It worked very well, and my wife, Radeen, wants me to make one for our IP 35. It would be easy.

Your idea sounds good, except the hatch lid needs to be closed and move with every coming and going. Maybe that would be ok as well.

For us now, we use a simple solid piece of plexi glass that fits into the door area. We slide this in place then slide the hatch closed. To come and go, this too requires the lid to be slid open then the plastic lifted out and turned. So it is not as easy as cloth or screening.

The best set up has to be doors, but they are expensive.

I would like to see your idea in use, it sounds like a great idea as well. I have never seen this.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
7 years 10 months ago #4925 by tschultz
Replied by tschultz on topic Companionway hatch screen (IP35).
Check out Lippencott in St. Petersburg. They created a roll up screen for our companionway that snaps to the outer frame and has a heavy zipper to open and close. When open, the screen rolls up and stores neatly against the hatch. I believe this concept was an original Norm Pierce idea as he commissioned our 370 Sehome and had Lippencott install our canvass.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

We have 503 guests and no members online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.