Companionway Hatch Rails

• Tiggtagg
  • Tiggtagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #4563 by Tiggtagg
Tiggtagg created the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
I have a newly acquired 1988 IP 27 and the plastic (or maybe nylon?) rails on which the sliding hatch actually slides are cracked and breaking up and need replacement. I am not at the boat but they are about 2" wide, 1/2" deep and maybe 2' long. Can someone tell me where I can get either replacements or the material to make replacements? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #4571 by mluskin
mluskin replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
You may be able to get replacement rails from the factory, and others on the list may have suggestions for other sources. Also, there's a good set of instructions on how to replace these rails without removing the companionway hatch, either on this site or on IP Home Port; you should check it out. Finally, on my IP27, rather than replace the rails, I've just removed the broken pieces (there have been two, one on each side, each about 5" long), removed all the old bedding material, and remounted them, using new bedding (LifeSeal) underneath and at the seam between the pieces, and then screwed the pieces down with s/s oval head screws, countersunk into the railing so they don't catch on the hatch. Worked fine on my boat.

More
1 year 5 months ago #4576 by hayden
hayden replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
I have replaced the hatch slides and it is rather easy. Here are the simple steps.

#1. Slide the hatch open.
#2. Look up from the underside, down below, and you will see the slides behind the front edge of the lide.
#3. Cut here, behind the lid
#4. Unscrew the slides where you can see them on the top and remove this piece.
#5. Cut a new piece, and slide it under the hatch and screw it down.
DONE

There is no need to remove the hatch slide since you can look up underneath the hatch and see the slide behind the hatch front.

Hayden

PS:
When we all started doing this we first thought that we need to remove the hatch cover which is a real hard job because you have to remove the traveler. But this is the easy way to replace them.

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 year 5 months ago #4577 by mluskin
mluskin replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
Check out the album on this. It's got photos. But again, you may not have to do it at all: just rebed and screw down the broken piece.

• Tiggtagg
  • Tiggtagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #4578 by Tiggtagg
Tiggtagg replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
Many thanks. Can you tell what the rails are made from and where I can get the material? My rails have broken into pieces that are about 6 inches in length and replacement seems to be the best solution. Thank you responders.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #4579 by hayden
Here are some photos to show you how the hatch does not slide back the entire way, so you can easily mark it from below and use a small pointed hand saw or fine saw and make the cute. Slide the hatch forward after marking to make your cut.

#1: Slide the hatch back to the stop and mark it

#2. Slide the hatch forward and use a small saw and cut it

#3. From the top, unscrew the old and screw down a new slide.

You can buy the slide material from the factory or you could use starboard and cut your own strip.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by hayden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tiggtagg

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5552 by Ventana I
Ventana I replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
Saw this post. Outside portion of slide in good condition however cracked and broken underneath. Need to replace entire section. Ideas appreciated on how to remove portion under cover. Cover gets stuck when pushed forward. Ideas appreciated.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5554 by TheCuscus
TheCuscus replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
I have the same issue with my 38. It appears you need to take the hatch hood off, which would also entail taking the traveler off. I had a yard mechanic quote me $700 to do the job, due to the labor involved. I am going to do it myself at the end of the season and start trying to loosen up the traveler bolts now. I am thinking of using starboard, but have not looked into availability yet. If you come up with a source, let me know. Thanks

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5558 by hayden
Removing the hatch cover required removing the traveler. The screws are long and it may require a hammer drill with a large driver bit and some pb blaster spray. Once that is off, it's easy.

Here is a photo essay onnremoving the hatch cover and redoing full slides.

www.ipyoa.com/photos?view=album&aid=1702

Hayden...with limited coms in BVIs

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5560 by TheCuscus
TheCuscus replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
Thanks Hayden for the pictures with descriptions. They will be most helpful when I tackle this project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayden

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5561 by hayden
Jim:
You are most welcome.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5562 by hayden
Jim:
You are most welcome.
Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
Rock Hall, MD

More
1 week 4 days ago #5631 by painkiller380
painkiller380 replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
Worked like a charm. Much better than taking off the traveler whose screws where frozen.

More
1 week 3 days ago #5632 by SLaz
SLaz replied the topic: Companionway Hatch Rails
I have this problem, too. It isn't that the screws stand proud and catch the hatch. It's that position of the slide itself makes it a natural hand-hold for crew climbing in and out of the companionway. When you start noticing, it's the obvious place to steady yourself in general, but especially if you are clipping-in or unclipping your tether when exiting or entering the cabin. Several of the cracks are at the screw holes in the slides in my boat. These slides really should have been made of a more substantial material given the number of folks who have had this issue.

Has anyone replaced them with metal?

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds

We have 568 guests and 3 members online