Splicing anchor chain

• Captdds
  • Captdds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #6069 by Captdds
Splicing anchor chain was created by Captdds
I now have 175 ft 5/16 schedule 4 chain and 70 lb Roca anchor. That I feel like that’s fine for Chesapeake bay. We are taking my IP 420 south for the winter. What is your opinion about splicing additional chain 75-100 more feet with Crosby Lok-A-Loy connector link. It is rated as much as their shackles. Or is it better to just anchor line for the additional length? Thanks for your Captdds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 6 days ago #6073 by Dave 777
Replied by Dave 777 on topic Splicing anchor chain
Hi,
We’re considering the same plan..adding 100ft to 180ft 5/16” G4 chain, for sailing up the BC coast. The Crosby you suggested looks like it would take the load better than anything I’ve looked at. My concern would be, how it stands up to the saltwater environment, as it is specific to industrial uses. Anyone have an opinion?
Dave

More
5 months 6 days ago #6075 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Splicing anchor chain
To your question - I think the Crosby connector looks fine and the best solution I have seen for connecting chain. it doesn't look galvanized so it will likely rust and need to be replaced after a season or two.

Some questions as you make your decision:
1. Where are you going? We have never needed that much chain in 12 years on the east coast or in the Bahamas. We do well with 170 feet of chain and some rode..
2. Will the connector go thru your windlass?
3. Will the windlass do both chain and rode?
4. What is your other anchor? If you lose the Roca what is "Plan B"? anchors get trapped and you can't get them up, or you have to abandon them in a hurry some times.

The 420 is a big boat but the chain is another 100# s on the bow. If your second anchor isn't fairly robust and a good all round "Plan B", I would put my weight and $$$ the second anchor system and just splice in a 100 feet of rode on the Roca chain.

For what it is worth - On Delicia, an IP 40, we have two 55 Delta anchors rigged on the bow. One with 170' of 5/16 g4 and 130' of rode - the primary & one with 50' of G4 with 250' of rode, "Plan B" We have used them both at the same time, but not very often. Getting two anchors down is a pain, but getting them up is a real pain, and very hard and slow if you need to move in a storm or the middle of the night.
My 2 cents
George

• Captdds
  • Captdds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 4 days ago #6076 by Captdds
Replied by Captdds on topic Splicing anchor chain
I have a 60+ lb Bruce with chain a my back up second anchor. I think your idea with a long rode on both anchors is a great idea. My windlass is an anchorman so I have to pull second anchor up by hand if I ever need it. Question, what size rode do you have on your anchors? Thanks, for your suggestions.

More
5 months 4 days ago #6078 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic Splicing anchor chain
We have 9/16 3 strand Nylon - Samson I believe. Might be a tad light for the 420. I think you are about 8K heavier than a IP 40.
Hope this helps
George

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 622 guests and no members online