Replacing old SL Anchorman with Lofrans Tigress on IP35

• jhstacy
  • jhstacy's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago #5047 by jhstacy
Hi All,
I have my bright new shiny Lofrans Tigres on my living room floor just admiring it :P I'm wondering if those of you who have already replaced a SL can share advice on what do do with the hole left by the SL? Did you have to have fiberglass work done to close the hold and find new Teak Boards for the bowsprit? or did the Tigres cover the old hole completely left by the removal of the SL?
Thanks for any word of advice before I call my local shipyard.

Jimmy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #5048 by hayden
Jimmy:

I replaced the SL 1000 with the Tigress and it covered the hole. But, if you wanted to make a cover plate that would be easy as well. Here is my photo essay showing the install and the cut outs.

www.ipyoa.com/photos?view=album&aid=1446

You are going to LOVE this wndlass.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhstacy

More
6 years 6 months ago #5793 by Chuck
About to start the same replacement process. Can you tell me how you decided on the Tigress and where I can purchase one. Have my old Anchorman Power 700 removed and hopefully can use the existing electrics. regards Chuck Hodges on Aurelia IP 35 #162

More
6 years 6 months ago #5794 by hayden
Chuck:

I shifted to the Tigress after paying for and waiting for a LIGHTHOUSE windlass which was $6,000. When it took months to find out they had not even made it, I was advised by our IP Dealer, Norm Pierce to buy the Lofrans Tigress and save $4,000, so I did. With the extra money I put it towards a new AB dinghy! What a deal.

The Tigress is easy to install. Just bolt it down. Wire it up. I used the same Simpson Lawrence footswitches but installed the Tigress solenoid.

You can buy these via Defender.com

I will always have this windlass, it is FANTASTIC. The best one for the money.
NOTE: If you want to go mechanical, they also make a great simple mechanical hand crank windlass. I actually hand cranked the Tigress for 3 months in the Bahamas until I could get new brushes for the motor. Worked great.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD

• jhstacy
  • jhstacy's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #5797 by jhstacy
Hi Chuck, I ended up going a different route. I ordered a Lofrans X2 and to my delight, the 4 bolts mounting the Old SL are an exact match to the millimeter with the new Lofrans X2. Admittedly, I don't have the new one installed as I was slowed down by a surgery this year, but the template is an exact fit and I don't expect any issues. I should only have to drill one small hole for the chain counter wire as the Lofrans X2 comes with a built in Chain Counter module. The Old SL still works so I'm not rushed and will strip and re-varnish the bowsprit teak when I replace the windlass unit.

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds

We have 695 guests and one member online

Disclaimer

Sincerely,

The International IPYOA administration team.