• Glenn K
  • Glenn K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 3 months ago #5178 by Glenn K
Charles 5000SP Charge Time was created by Glenn K
Hello All,

My wife and I are the new owners of IP485 hull 057, Calliope. We have spent a lot of time this spring and summer getting her back in shape after she sat on the hard for more than a year. As we have started cruising her out for a week or so at a time we have come across some issues with the battery charger. I'm looking to see how others handle these.

I spent about 45 min with a very nice young man at Charles who explained the algorithm on the 100 amp 5000sp and how this differed from the Xantrex system we had on our last boat. The charger starts out at 100 amps and within a minute is down to 75 amps. It goes through a bulk like charge and then when it gets down just below 40 amps the charger steps the voltage down one whole volt (so from 14.2 to 13.2 in my case). The issue is that this jump happens after about 2 to 2 1/2 hours into the charge. Given that we only start out at 75 amps, at the 2 to 2 1/2 hour point we have put in less that 100 amp hours into that charge. Once it drops to 13.2 V we, essentially have no amps coming into the charge. So effectively the charger can only charge for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If we are at anchor doing a 50%to 80% charge with the genset, we are not really near the 80% mark at that point (we have 600 amp hours of house so we need to go from -300 to -120 amp hours ... best I have been able to do is -180).

Same behavior in port on shore power in port. Once it hits that 1 volt drop to 13.2 the charge is very slow. So coming back a week later we are rarely better than -50 amp hours. So it seems like the batteries are consistently under charged. In all fairness our AGM batteries are about 4 1/2 years old so could be near end of life.

I am curious of other IP owners with the Charles 100 amp chargers are able to get a full 50% to 80% charge with their generator at anchor and are you able to get a full charge on shore power?

Glenn Kenney
S/V Calliope IP485
Rock Hall, MD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 4 days ago #6064 by ip485
Replied by ip485 on topic Charles 5000SP Charge Time
Hi Glenn - do you still visit the forum. I have recently completed a comprehensive review of my charging system and replaced the AGM battery bank - it sounds very similiar to yours,. It would be interesting to swap notes.

• Glenn K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 4 days ago #6066 by Glenn K
Replied by Glenn K on topic Charles 5000SP Charge Time
I do still watch this forum. I replaced my batteries just before out trip to the Bahamas this year. Last spring I also added 550 W of solar with 4 panels mounted on a new radar arch. So I am no longer dependent on the Charles battery charger. I will occasionally use the charger in port or if we have multiple cloudy days. But the charger has not seen much use this year.

More
8 months 4 days ago #6067 by ip485
Replied by ip485 on topic Charles 5000SP Charge Time
Good you do! Thank you for replying. Would be good to stay in touch on 485 matters if you can PM as well.

I have just replaced my house batteries with 660AH Lifeline. I have a Charles 60AH and a Victron 50AH, which replaced the Charles 100AH which failed. I have 660W of solar to an Outback.

I was wondering if I need to add one more solar panels which I could mount behind the mast and would add an extra 150W but by the sound of it I may have enough in tropic climates with good sun?

I hadnt realised I can happily run both chargers together off the Genset (or mains) although at the moment they trip the breaker during the first ten minutes of charge before they back off.

I was thinking when on the hook for longer periods I might need to run the Genset each day for maybe 30 mnutes or an hour and then leave it to the solar.

I have had it drummed into me the importance of getting the bank to a true 100% charge at least once a week.

• Glenn K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 4 days ago #6068 by Glenn K
Replied by Glenn K on topic Charles 5000SP Charge Time
Good to hear back from you. You can always get us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I have found that the 550 W keeps us up above 80% most of the time. And with a day or two on the hook with normal loads it will sync at 100%. We run the watermaker on DC power (spectra Newport 400 ~ 18-20 amps) and the solar picks that up fine with other loads.

We try to motor as little as possible but with normal motoring and solar we rarely use the genset to charge. We will crank up the genset to heat water every few days or to run the heat or AC.

From late November to early March the solar does not produce quite as much. But even then we rarely got below 70% (we have the 600 amp hours of lifeline batteries for house, 100 ah for start on genset, 100 ah for start on diesel, and 200 ah for windless / thruster).

So you should be fine for solar. Especially in non winter and your extra should make up my losses for winter.

Moderators: acajunshawnee
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 917 guests and no members online