Cruising the Tropical Queensland Coast, Australia

• Loblolly
  • Loblolly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 6 days ago #5621 by Loblolly
Loblolly created the topic: Cruising the Tropical Queensland Coast, Australia
Island Girl 1, an IP 380, Hull Number 167, will be shortly accompanying the whale migration north along the Queensland coast inside the Great Barrier Reef and visiting many of the unspoilt islands between Mooloolaba and Cooktown. It is possible to day hop right up the coast for at least 2,000km and many Aussie sailors migrate each Winter to make use of the steady SE trade winds that blow them up the coast into the warmer waters of the tropics. We spent 3 months cruising the coast last year, which was a fantastic experience, so this year we plan to be away for around four months and we hope to go further north to the region near Cooktown where the Barrier Reef is close to the mainland, allowing for plenty of snorkelling and scuba diving in the sheltered waters.
We have owned Island Girl 1 for just one year now and she is a lovely boat, set up for ocean cruising in safety and comfort. We have also sailed in various other parts of the world and one of our long time favourites is the BVIs in the Caribbean. It occured to us that many Island Packets tend to find their way to the Caribbean from Florida, where they are kept by their American owners and we were wondering if someone might like to do a boat swap for a couple of months next year or the year after, in order to enjoy the familiarity and comfort of sailing on a similar IP yacht but in a totally different location.....we love the Caribbean and we can certainly recommend Australia's beautiful Queensland coast. Australia is a great place to sail as it offers an amazing variety of wonderful landscapes, from pristine beaches and coral reefs to secluded national park walking trails and, of course, a highly developed coastguard and marine safety infrastructure, along with a passionate boating community.
If you think you might be interested, please let us know and we can talk about how to arrange things and swap notes on what to expect. For example, you could fly in to Brisbane Airport from LA or San Francisco and our boat is a two hour bus ride away in a sheltered marina on what is known as the "Sunshine Coast" at Mooloolaba.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #5622 by hayden
hayden replied the topic: Cruising the Tropical Queensland Coast, Australia
Mike and Karen:

Team Island Spirit IP35-165, www.IslandSpirit.us may be interested in your idea of trading yachts and exploring each others cruising area. Radeen and I have spent a month in Australia way back in 1990-91 flying into Sydney and doing the east coast up to the Cape York peninsula. Along the way we rented a 50 foot sailboat in the Whitsunday Islands. Up in Cooktown, we snorkled the Great Barrier Reef, and in the Cape York area we spend 2 days in the bush with a local guild. WE LOVED IT. We could move to your Country.

So, we know that area a little bit and we would be very interested in exploring your idea.

We have an IP35, which is the older model before your 380, so it will be smaller with a V-berth as to an island bed. We just now, this season sailed her to the Caribbean where we plan to base her for the next two season in the Eastern Caribbean between USVI-Grenada. This upcoming year we will sail USVI down to Grenada and our plan is to store her there May 30-Nov1 like we are doing this season but in Puerto Rico. In the summer June-Nov 1 we are at our home in the Northeast near Philladelphia PA.

We just completed a new refit this past year adding a Spectra Watermaker, new sails, and new B&G electronics. We have 350 watts of solar and 450 watts of wind. No gen set, but AC/Heat for dockside. The IP 35 is very comfortable for two, and you can have 2 guest in the qtr berth. The boat has one head and a separate shower seat.

So, let's think about this. It is an idea we have entertained before, and your area would be on the top of our list for sure.

Here are two Island Spirit Photos from our blog
http://IslandSpirit.uswww.IslandSpirit.us

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD
Attachments:

• Loblolly
  • Loblolly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #5634 by Loblolly
Loblolly replied the topic: Cruising the Tropical Queensland Coast, Australia
Hi Hayden and Radeen,

Many thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in getting back to you....we've been running around sorting out various projects as usual.

I have seen many of your posts on the IPYOA site and can think of no better couple with which to do a boat swap and I did notice that you have sailed Island Spirit down to the Caribbean, via the Bahamas I believe.

We have done the BVIs on about 8 different trips over the years and we have done the St Martin, Anguila, St Barts, St Eustatius, St Kitts, Nevis, as well as the Windward Islands...St Vincent, Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Tobago Cays and Union Island. We haven't ventured as far down as Grenada, although we have been there for a dive holiday many years ago...lovely place!!

We would ideally like to do a visit next year for two or three months from April onwards...as you know August to October is Hurricane Season in the Caribbean, so that should be avoided.

The best time to sail up the Queensland Coast is from May through to October with the SE trades, after which the wind begins to come from the north ( most convenient), for the sail back down to the south.

Think about what you and Radeen would potentially like to do and I'm sure we can work something out. Our boat is currently at Mooloolaba, but when we get back from this cruise in about November we may put her in a marina in "Sanctuary Cove" on the Gold Coast", which is to the south of Brisbane. However, we could sail the boat up the coast in advance if you would prefer to start from, say The Whitsundays.

Over to you.....give it some thought and let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Mike & Karen

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5636 by hayden
hayden replied the topic: Cruising the Tropical Queensland Coast, Australia
Mike and Karen:

Let's take this chat directly to email communications since it is between us 4. I have sent you an email to connect us together. This does have potential and Radeen and I may be very interested in working out some kind of exchange. This upcoming season, Nov 1 to June 1 will be our first Caribbean tour on Island Spirit. We have also charted on every island from USVI St. Thomas to Nearly Grenada. But it is different on our own boat.

I will email you and we can continue our talk via gmail. Thank you for presenting this idea. I have always thought it a good idea to trade IPs around the world.

Hayden

Hayden Cochran
IP35-165 Island Spirit
IslandSpirit35.blogspot.com
Rock Hall, MD
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by hayden.

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

We have 520 guests and 3 members online