IP 27 Tacking

• Tiggtagg
  • Tiggtagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5969 by Tiggtagg
IP 27 Tacking was created by Tiggtagg
I have a 1988 IP27 and have spent the last couple of years "fixing'"! Now to sailing; I am finding it almost impossible to tack my boat, as i ease her round about half way through the turn the boat stops! Now she is cutter rigged and getting the headsail through the 'slot' is iffy but surely this should not prevent bringing the bow through the wind? It is probably my technique but a heavy boat and a full keel probably needs special care .. Any suggestions welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5970 by Al
Replied by Al on topic IP 27 Tacking
We have a new IP 31 (1987, new to us),similar scenario. On sea trials we experienced same issues. I discovered that backwinding the jib helps pull the bow over, and/or having a crew on deck to coax the sail over also is handy. This season I plan to furl the head sails, maybe a third to help bring the boat over. Since we plan to cruise not race we are taking time to learn. I think with 12 to 15 knots of wind tacking may be easier.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5973 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic IP 27 Tacking
I have a 1987 IP-31 and al though I am not an experienced sailor, I have discovered that to tack easily and well, I need between 12-20 knots to get my bow over easily and consistently. Any wind less than that and I often must backwind the headsail. I am hoping to increase my skills so I can sail acceptably well in light air. I often refer to her (lovingly, however) as “a tank” so I sail accordingly and she hasn’t let me down! Maybe the accomplished sailers out there can suggest better techniques. Fair winds.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5975 by Angelfish
Replied by Angelfish on topic IP 27 Tacking
We have an IP32. This is what we do...firstly, when we make the turn (tack), we carve the turn. This is important because it is easy to try and turn too fast or even too slow. I usually handle the job sheets so I watch carefully as Sam makes the turn. I let the sail backfill just enough so the clew turns up and is positioned to come around the inner forestay. Then I pull the sail around as we complete the turn. I do pull like crazy to get it around so I don't have to use a winch handle very much and trim it up according to the tell-tales.

We have never had the boat stop even in light air but there have been times when I have to run forward and push the sail around the inner forestay. But very few. This takes a lot of practice to time the turn with getting the sail across. I have found recently that what has made a big difference for us is wave action. We sailed Whimsy on a big freshwater lake and now in Florida. Our turns have not been a smooth as the lake but I really believe it is a matter of getting used to being bounced around on deck and the wind being a bit...ummm...what's the word? ...frisky.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #6070 by mluskin
Replied by mluskin on topic IP 27 Tacking
There's a lot on this on the various IP sites. On my IP27, in wind above 8 knots or so, I make sure to back the genoa until the boom crosses over, then blow the old sheet and haul in the new as quickly as possible. The sail then blows through the slot. In light wind this works about half the time, and the other half I have to go forward and walk the sail through -- but in light wind this isn't a problem. I've also found that using a soft shackle to attach the jib sheets to the clew decreases the chance of a hang-up when tacking (see attached photo); bowlines -- especially two of them -- frequently get hung up on the inner forestay. ML
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by mluskin. Reason: Add photo

• Tiggtagg
  • Tiggtagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
5 months 1 week ago #6071 by Tiggtagg
Replied by Tiggtagg on topic IP 27 Tacking
Many thanks to responders. My fear was that I was incompetent but sharing reveals there is an issue and that special care in in order. I like the idea of a ‘soft shackle’ and will try it. In the meantime I’m working on it ....

More
5 months 1 week ago #6072 by Delicia
Replied by Delicia on topic IP 27 Tacking
Here is a taking aid that has worked well for me on both our 350 and our 40.

Put the stay sail up/roll it out before tacking. Sheet the stay sail in tight, It gives the Genoa something to slide on and keeps it from falling through the slot and getting tangled in the stay sail shroud/roller.

Also, a bit of wind helps.

George
SV Delicia

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds

Learn more about our IPYOA projects here. We hope you find this helpful and supportive.

More Info..

Share the
JOY
of
ownership!

We have 611 guests and no members online